Weekly Round Up – Week 8
It’s two weeks since we arrived back in Australia! We love our new city so far and the apartment we’re renting.
When we lived in Australia previously it was in Sydney but this time around we’ve moved a couple of hours up the coast to Newcastle.
We felt that Newcastle would be a great option because it has everything we want in a city but on a much smaller scale.
We LOVED Sydney but felt it was a bit too busy and expensive for us but we still wanted to be close by as a lot of our friends live there.
We’re renting in the CBD at the moment while we explore the area and decide which suburb we want to move to permanently. We rented a car for the first week so we could have a little look around and now we’ve finally bought a car hurray!
Our apartment has 2 bedrooms which means Miss M has her own room but Mini M is still in with us. It isn’t ideal and he is a REALLY light sleeper which means every time Mr M turns over in bed or breaks into a snore, Mini wakes up. Grr. That said, it’s nice to be able to wake up to his smiley face every day.
We did intend to get a toddler bed for Miss M but she’s been happy so far in the middle of the double bed in her room. We’ve pushed it against a wall and she sleeps in the middle and so far, so good.
So what have we been doing so far?
We’ve been walking through the city and getting to know where everything is. There are a few shops nearby, two supermarkets and quite a few cafes and restaurants.
Our apartment has an outdoor swimming pool so we’ve been making the most of that! It also has a gym. Um, haven’t been there yet.
Here is Miss M who insisted on ‘checking the pool temperature’ a million times. She’s wearing her lovely new pink visor from Scunci who kindly sent it to us after hearing we had arrived in Australia. It’s perfect for shielding her eyes and face from the sun.
They’re $9.95 and really stretchy and comfortable as made from soft elastic, leaving no hat hair!
We’re quite near to Darby Street which has a wide offering of cafes, restaurants and pretty boutiques to choose from. We went to Zinc on Darby and were so impressed. We ordered garlic bread, pizza and sweet potato fries to share between the 3 of us and there was so much food. I’m pretty sure it was the best garlic bread I’ve ever eaten too – so soft and fluffy.
There is a full breakfast, lunch and dinner menu as well as Kids options too and we found it a very family friendly place with lots of room for us, our double stroller and highchairs available. There are also crayons and pictures for kids to colour and blankets available for cooler evenings.
There’s an outdoor seating area too and the staff were lovely and friendly. We’ll definitely be going back.
I’ll be going back to Darby St soon to investigate all of the little shops – I did pop into one boutique called Betty Mim – cool name! It stocks some beautiful homeware, gifts and clothes and I could have bought everything in the shop very easily.
We’re having a lot of fun so far discovering our new neighbourhood and finding our way around. Here’s a little round up my blogging week too:
• My Most Read Post was – Breastfeeding Outfit Ideas from Next – I love Next, especially for work clothes and so happy that they also ship for free to Australia!
• My Favourite Post was – my new weekly #ParentingPicks linky! If you’re a blogger, link up any of your new and old Family themed posts here. If you’re not a blogger, you might find some lovely new blogs to read here every week :)
• My Favourite Archived Post – after some unsolicited parenting advice from an old lady in the lift this week, it reminded me of this one – Back Off Grandma!
On my To Do list for next week
• Get the kids settled in daycare as I start work the following week!
• Get back on the weight loss wagon! There isn’t a Weight Watchers group in the city and I’ll never commit to just doing it online at the moment so I need to have a think (and fast) about what I’m going to to get back on my weight loss mission.
• Plan my birthday! It’s in November and I can’t wait to catch up with friends and lots of wine :)
I’ve mentioned this before but these weekly round up posts are inspired by Aby’s #TheList linky at You Baby Me Mummy :)
Have you had a good week?
Disclosure: Miss M was sent the lovely visor from Scunci for free. We paid for our delicious meal at Zinc. I am not related to Betty Mim but wish I was.